"A pretty village at peace with all the world," was the description given to Laurel in a survey done in the 1900s.
Situated between Aquebogue and Mattituck, Laurel was called Middle District for many years. When Riverhead Town separated from Southold Town in 1792, the border was drawn through Laurel, thus dividing it in half. In 1831, Middle District was renamed Franklinville and in 1890, Laurel.
In 1833, the Franklinville academy opened and educated students from as far as Patchogue with pastors as teachers. In 1889, the school closed down because of the rising of public school.